Monday, January 9, 2006

It's decided. I'm staying in Oshkosh for my birthday. Rejoice. Rejoice.

I'm going to tell you something you won't believe.

I was happy to go to work today.

Yes. Happy. As in, "What happened to Erin? It's a Monday; she hates Mondays."

After this weekend, I wanted nothing more than to be able to leave my apartment. Work was a break from torn-up, pulled back, wet, stinky carpet, and the huge fans ballooning the carpet up, "drying" it out.

But, I also was interested in participating in life today because it's one day closer to my birthday. Birthweek. Ha. And I've decided I'm not going home. Tearfully, I decided I'm not. You know why? Well, logically, because the fiance can't go and I don't want to drive by myself all that way, but also because I've had x number of birthdays in Ohio (all but one; one was in Paris). I haven't had one in Oshkosh yet.

While I'm confident midnight will come around and I'll feel exactly the same as if it were an Ohio birthday, I'm also a teeny bit excited I get to do more than the usual Ohio birthday stuff (you know, your standard Ohio birthday stuff -- singing, dancing, wining, dining, cake, a movie, etc.).

Apparently there's this bar in Oshkosh that gives you a mug on your birthday. I can use another mug, I guess. And a few people from work have already said they'd come along. OK, two. But I haven't really told anyone else yet. And it's different. Look, Mom, I'm trying something completely new!

I cannot tell a lie; I will miss my mom, I will miss Rediscover and We Are the Fury at their concert in Toledo (oh boy will I miss them -- come to Wisconsin when you go on tour in March, lazy rock-'n'-rollers). I will miss my friends. But Ohio, it's not meant to be. February, baby. February. Or March.

I only hope people miss me and come to Wisconsin to visit. I'm not THAT OK with staying. I may be almost another year older, but I've still got feelings. Heart. Soul. Wet carpet.

7 comments:

MWGirl said...

Erin - I'll come out!
Happy Birthday Week.

MWGirl said...

Erin - I'll come out!
Happy Birthday Week.

Erin said...

Yesssss.

Unknown said...

I'll come out (after work), too! And I'll bring the chocolate cheesecake to work as I previously promised in the other birthday-related post.

Erin said...

Yessss again!

Anonymous said...

You should invite Winston Smith to your birthday party, just as a backup to The Fiance.

Anonymous said...

I bet Big Brother doesn't let people leave Oceania. Get it, his name is Winston Smith. "1984."