Sunday, January 15, 2006

I have a 401(k). I can't be cool. Not even online.

I'm talking online to my cousin right now (yeah, on instant messenger ... I hadn't logged on in so long my program had to be updated from a version that relied mainly on smoke signals). We come from a family of a lot -- there are at least 138 of us cousins, so we're not that close. Plus, he's in college, and he's 20. And he's in Ohio.

Anyhow, I logged on to the forgotten means of communication (oh, the memories), and was looking for someone to talk to. Someone. Anyone. Bueller. I looked through my list ... but everyone was offline or away. They had their witty messages up: "drinking, cavs game and random acts of debauchery," "shaming the downstairs neighbors and buying drink mix," "woo hoo! no school tomarow" (HE spelled that wrong, not I).

Basically, your college/frat boy/editor of a college paper on vacation/do what I want kind of messages.

But my cousin was online and I had a random question to ask, so I asked him, which led to a friendly "how is life" conversation.

What did I learn? I am rusty. Oh, so rusty. And, I forgot how addicting IM is. I was online for "just a quick five minutes, then I have to go to bed," and that became "oh, crap, it's midnight." MAN.

I'm spelling out words. I'm capitalizing. I'm using punctuation. What was "Pr'y be over @ 10 k?" became "Dearest Adam, I shall be over around 10 p.m., if that should suit you."

Not the exact words. But you get the point. I'm out of the loop. I am old.

I didn't even know what to say at first. What were the kids talking about nowadays? Was Weezer still cool? What's the hot "phrase"? Can I say "hot" phrase, or is it "cool" again? Can I still use the word "marinating" to mean "just hanging around", or was that passe?

I need to chill. Or, I need to stop freaking out about getting old.

So I asked him what the college kids were up to, half being facetious, half serious. He said he was doing something with a highlighter and a black light (uh, OK), listening to Fall Out Boy, and he said something called drinking was still popular, from what he heard.

Sugar, we're growing up. But I have Fall Out Boy on (the older version of) my iPod, and that still sounds normal -- as in, I'm out of college and listening to bands he knows. (Though if he reads this, I'm sure the CD will turn into a coaster.)

But, after talking to him for a half hour, I was talking/typing just like the kids do. Or trying. Faking it. Dang it. I feel as if I've been had.

But, oh, the memories of the wasted nights spent talking on IM.

Isn't ... this ... one? Uh ... (cough).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you quote my away message and then categorize it as "frat boy?" Ouch, Erin. Ouch.

Erin said...

No; if you see, the order of my away message descriptions do not match the order of the three away messages above, and do not necessarily even come from those exact away messages. Geesh.