Monday, January 2, 2006

Good thing the fiance's worth it.

I like being home. When I'm not at home, I think about how much I'd like to be there, and when I'm there, I think about how much I don't want to leave. It's cozy. It smells like candles. I have a fabulous blanket. There's macaroni here.

This feeling increases on Sundays (or Mondays that seem like Sundays), especially when it's raining (as it is), and dreary. There's nothing more I'd like to do than to sit and read some short stories, watch some old movies and hang out in comfy clothes.

No, this isn't another one of my infamous "Mondays are horrible" blogs. This is worse.

My home has been invaded.

By men.

Wearing shoulder pads and helmets.

It's loud. There are whistles. Crowds cheering.

And static from the TV.

Yes. It's football. On my TV. In my precious living room. My cozy, smells-like-candles living room.

I want to run away. I can't really explain it, but just hearing the sounds of football makes me want to cry. It's a boring sport. It takes forever, and there are like, five seconds, tops, where there's real, actual action. "Let's all line up on this line, OK, now let's run into each other, and then stop! Stop! Everyone, stop! Let's line up again. No? Time out? OK. Let's do the instant replay. Yesss. And make sure the broadcaster uses that 'weee-weee-weee-whoosh' sound to let everyone know it's a replay."

It's a red-light, green-light game gone bad.

Luckily, the fiance is working today, so I don't have to put up with watching it. But it's my day off. I wanted to watch mindless TV. And I can't. We only get NBC. Noooo ....

Luckily, this year wasn't too bad. We're out of our region for most of the Bengals games (hey, the fiance's from Cincinnati), and he goes to "Man Day" on Sundays to watch football with some guys I work with, so I get peace and quiet at home. It's like heaven for a few hours, because I know if he were home, I'd have to listen to the weeee-weeee-weeee-whoosh. I don't like the weee-weee-weeee-woosh.

I thought I had March Madness to look forward to for the first time in my life this year (since CBS has the rights, and we don't get CBS) but, as it turns out, even if you don't get CBS, you can watch all the games you want for free online.

My life is ruined by media.

But, ladies, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The fiance got me these huge headphones for Christmas. And, good news -- he'll be the one wearing them if he's going to be tuning in to playoff games, or Internet broadcasts. Yesss. Almost heaven.

It's a good thing he's worth it.

No comments: