Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I'm still standing, and so is the apartment building.

I freaked out a bit today. Only for a few minutes. But I couldn't help it. It was one of those moments where the ol' fight-or-flight response kicks in -- blood pressure rises, cold sweat, heart stops, then beats really fast. Then, you realize there isn't really a threat in front of you, and you calm down, and get really tired.

Yeah. One of those moments.

At work, we hear all the tragic things on the scanner -- like fires.

I am terrified of fire. I wouldn't go running away from a campfire, and I'm OK with fireplaces. It's more the losing everything in a fire that scares me. It happened to my friends. I just can't imagine. Well, I can. But I don't want to.

But, alas, the "fire" call one of our photographers went on wasn't to capture all my possessions going up in smoke.

Nope. It was people putting up drywall. Apparently that causes smoke. Someone panicked. I'm glad I don't know that someone. They'd get punched. Or a dirty look. Probably a dirty look, as I've never hit anyone, and don't think I'd start with a stranger if I were to pick up the habit.

All I know is this: my apartment is standing, and I need to chill out. But come on, how many times can a girl stand having firefighters running through her building?

Not many. I'm guessing about two.

No comments: