Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dolla bills, it's all about the Washingtons, baby.

Let's get one thing straight: I didn't go to college and spend beaucoup de money on my calligraphy-signed paper to work as a waitress. OK.

But let's get another thing straight, while we're straightening up. Neither did my fiance.

But that's where we are. No, he's not a waitress -- that is incorrect on a few levels. He's just applying different places around town, looking for a second job. Checking his options. We're so broke. Blame the economy (we do), the move, the paying two rents for three months (yup, yup); whatever it is, we. Are. So. Broke.

It's just not fair.

There are guys I went to high school with who didn't go to college. One's working as a mechanic/car something-or-other at a steady job that he's had since high school, and I'm sure he's making more than I am. A couple others went to trade school, and they're making sizeable amounts of dough laying drainage pipes.

But I have all this knowledge! I paid $25,000 to learn all I have up here in my head -- it's pretty good stuff! What? Just because I do creative stuff instead of installing toilets, I should be poor? What gives. Seriously.

In my non-scientific poll I conducted today, three out of four people polled said they were looking for a second job. OK, so I was the fourth one polled. And I polled four people. But I multiplied that, and my genius math skills lead me to believe 75 percent of the planet is looking for another job. (Um, I think I may have put a decimal in the wrong spot or something, because that number seems high, but ... whatever.)

It's just not fair. I was hoping that we'd at least start making a dent in college debt payments before we'd have to succumb to poverty, or getting a second job. It's not fair. And I'm the one not looking for another job. I'm just the one who works during the day, while he'll be working afternoons and nights. This should be great.

The fiance is talented -- but nothing else is coming up. The two other friends I have are smart and educated -- but this job thing isn't payin' the bills. This is crap.

I hear these stories from mom about how poor she was when she and my dad got divorced, or how a friend of hers was so down and out in the beginning that they cooked supper by warming up beans on a kerosene heater. Now, they're all fine. I don't know how to get to "fine." "Save money," I guess. But how does one save money when all of it goes to living? Why is it so expensive to be alive and do stuff? I mean, we've got rent. Bills. College loans. A wedding. And I'm not even talking about a honeymoon (we're opting out, most likely). I'm talking about just having a car. And clothes. And food in our cupboards. Dang.

My fiance says if we were still in college, we'd have an excuse to be poor. That's kinda why I was sick of college: I was tired of being poor. Hm.

I'm beginning to think laying drainage pipes and doing heating and air conditioning work would prove to be a bit more fruitful. Not real fulfilling, though.

Dang. There's always a trade-off. Maybe I'll pick it up as a side hobby.

Or get a babysitting job. Yeah. I think it's come to that. OK, make that four out of four people polled are looking for a second job. 100 percent of the world.

2 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

What I wonder is what percentage of people are actually in a job they enjoy? Call me crazy, but I'd rather work where I enjoy it than be earn a truck load of money and be miserable.

Krista said...

Welcome to my life. I think I'm at least one of the four people polled. That makes me 1/4 of the world. Whoa. That's huge. Yesss.