Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Starting bid: One half-empty box of matches


I'm starting the bidding right now, with a box of matches. End result will be, mark my words, a front-row ticket to see Billy Joel. See this photo? My matches look pretty much just like that. Only half gone.

This guy went from trading a paperclip to getting a house, all by bartering on Craigslist. It went from paperclip to pen, to ceramic knob to camp grill to generator to blah blah blah, til he got a house.

Dude. Why didn't I think of that? (I'm thinking of asking myself that question in a column this weekend.) Surely, anything's possible on the Internet, right? I mean, if I can watch videos of Parrot beatbox, I can surely get tickets to see Billy Joel. (Bill, if you're reading, you could just go ahead and trade me right now, and save me the hassle.)

Or ... Since I don't have the dedication (or even a full box of matches), I guess this'll just go in the "whoa" pile. Whoa.

2 comments:

Bethany K. Warner said...

I had college friends that routinely did this.... the "Bigger and Better" game. Best they got was a washing machine.

Anonymous said...

I'll trade your box of matches for a mega size dollhouse, complete with furniture and carpeted rooms. Barbie and Ken are included. Sounds like a fair deal. Have your people contact my people to work out the details.