Friday, July 7, 2006

"If you feel discouraged by the lack of spandex here ..."



It may be Friday, but I felt the need to blog. World, I saw David Lee Roth, of Van Halen fame, last night. Couldn't see the pants, as I'm too short to see more than a flash of his head if the crowd moves just right. But the hair was short. Unfortunately.

He was crazy. He sounded pretty much exactly like he does on his albums; and it was pretty good. He caused a crowd full of middle-aged men to take their shirts off and jam (not the prettiest sight, but funny nonetheless). I'm not a Roth fan, but I had a pass to get in, and when life hands you free passes, you make ... free entrances. Basically, when Roth was in his heyday, my mom was sitting through high school geometry classes. When he split from Van Halen, I was just beginning to appreciate life after diapers. So forgive me, please, if I seemed to be humming along with the verses and lipsynching the choruses.

Don't get me wrong, it was fun. Get a huge crowd together to sing to "California Girls" is entertaining enough. So is watching parents forget for a second that they had 8 year old kids standing beside them while they cheered when Roth said the F word. Yes. The F word. For shame.

But the real, unpredictable entertainment was Those Darn Accordions. No, it's not a joke. Right after we walked in, we spotted the group on stage in short, tie-dyed shorts over fishnet stockings, wearing hats and tank tops. Oh, and accordions. Singing "Back in Black." With accordions.

Since you don't have to stay at Waterfest after you get in, we were free to go when they did a cover of Grand Funk Railroad's "We're An American Band."

Only it wasn't an American band. No, my friends. They were singing "WE'RE AN ACCORDION BAND."

We couldn't leave fast enough. Sigh.

And, if you're worried that this post is deteriorating quickly into cringe-worthy music, allow me to redeem myself by reminding you about the existence of Under the Influence of Giants, whose EP I just bought off iTunes. Can't get enough of the '80s-meets-2006 vibe. And it strays from my alt-country sound I've been preoccupied with over the last few months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But . . . Those Darn Accordions are cool and innovative, while David Lee Roth is pretty much doing the same thing he did back when your parents had acne.

Anonymous said...

What the other Anonymous said!
Those Darn Accordions dont feature the tedium of most hard rock bands that take themselves way too seriously, but do feature better musicianship in general, plus yuks...way to miss out Overachiever!