Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I got a NASA water bottle. What did you do today?



I went to EAA AirVenture today and experienced the "You gotta be there" excitement -- and OK, I was impressed.

Impressed like "free water bottle" impressed, "free Post-Its" impressed, "free mouse pad, stickers, candy, ruler" impressed, etc.

But no, not Harrison Ford impressed. (For those of you who don't know, Ford shows up at AirVenture every year for the Young Eagles program. I'm not just oddly bringing him up for no reason.) Later, however, my fiance caught him and took a photo, which I will share with you when I get it. He said something about giving Harrison (because we're on a first-name basis) my number, too. Best fiance ever. UPDATE: Yeah, here's the photo.

OK, back to AirVenture. Two of my friends and I went to AirVenture on our lunch break, rushed through the free-stuff booths, grabbed what we could, and walked back to the car, sweating like crazy because it gets hot in Wisconsin. Does it ever.

Bad news -- worse than the sweating, thought that just compounded what came next. Worse than having to wait until the trolley and 50 other cars drove by to cross the road to the car. Worse than the near-blisters my relatively new shoes gave me.

We are officially 10 minutes late to get back to work, and - gasp - there's a flat tire. I, being the stepdaugter of a mechanic and a daughter of a self-sufficient woman, have no idea how to change a tire, and not a really strong desire to learn.

Luckily, it wasn't my car, but I still felt kind of bad that the only help I was able to give was to tell him "Good job, man, yeah, keep up the good work," while standing there going "IT'S SO HOT," dreaming about air conditioning and fanning myself with a free hand (which never works, but I do it anyhow because my hand's there, and I may as well use it to pretend it drops the temperature of the entire outdoors by 15 to 20 degrees).

I'm sure that was a great help, and that he didn't feel like punching me (or at the very least, leaving me there, stranded) at all. What a gentleman.

No comments: