Monday, July 24, 2006

iPod, I love you.


Someone help me.

I've just spent the last half hour subscribing to free podcasts on NPR and PBS. (In case you don't heart technology, a podcast is a free radio-like program that you subscribe to on your computer, and you can put it on your iPod, and it updates for new episodes, etc.)

If I didn't have a blog to talk to about it, I'd still be clicking "Subscribe" as if they were free. OH WAIT, they are free.

I may be the last 20something embracing podcasting (or at least it'd seem that way). I'm like the Christopher Columbus to the Leif Ericson of discoveries here (Flashback to sixth grade history class: He's the Icelandic guy who found America in like, 1065 or something). This means I get all the credit, and you'll all get a day off work each year on a day named after me.

I don't know why I never subscribed to any podcasts before -- They're like listening to NPR's "All Songs Considered," without the hit-or-miss schedule I get annoyed by on the radio. All I want is to tune in for music talk only to hear Click and Clack, the car advice guys, instead. Like I could care less about an oil change. Please. There's even one on iTunes that gives you a song per program from a genre of your choice.

(I realize you most likely already knew this, but give me my five minutes of "Whoa," and nod and smile.)

So right now, I've got "All Songs Considered," "POV," "American Experience," "NPR Books," "NPR Pop Culture," and "PBS Now," all on my iPod. I know I'm supposed to be totally blase to this technology thing, but I am in awe over this. It updates ... by itself. It goes on my iPod, so I can take it anywhere. I can listen to it over my car stereo. I can listen to it while I'm folding laundry. Holy Toledo.

Then I found this link. That's it. I'm turning off the computer. I don't have time for my own surfing, even if it does come with a free show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This post made me LAUGH - this is exactly how I felt about a month ago when I finally decided to try out the whole podcast thing. It's amazing! Technology really does boggle my mind.

And people talk and talk about this "give me what I want, when I want" society we're living in and how it's ruining our relationships and interpersonal skills, etc. But I don't care! I love it!