Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Pardon me while I spend time with my husband for a second.

I am a newlywed, but it's about two nights a week I actually am awake when that new love of my life gets home from work. I'm one of those people who likes working 8-ish a.m. to whenever; he's the kind of person who likes working 2 to 11 p.m. No big deal.

One of those nights he catches me awake is because he works just until 5 p.m. on Fridays. I can, believe it or not, wait until 9:30 to go to bed. A lot of grocery shopping gets done on Fridays after 5. I'm telling you, it's quality time.

The other night I'm still awake is just a lucky night, I suppose, as we get to avoid this discussion:

Picture: I am sleeping on the couch, dreaming about such rational things as having to scan in medical charts under the watchful eye of a boss I had in 2000 when I was working in the kitchen of a nursing home, all while we're in my high school gymnasium, typing on a computer from 1987 (black screen, green letters!) while all my ex-boyfriends are there watching the game of PeeWee basketball ... Like that. (Real dream, not kidding.) Whew.

And I'm also under a warm blanket in my big sweatshirt and pajamas, with the dog curled up at my feet, snoring. The dog is snoring. Not me.

Enter Dave, home from work. He thinks I will regret waking up on the couch if he lets me sleep there all night. He actually wants me to leave the comfort of the nice, warm blanket and walk UPSTAIRS? What?? Does he KNOW it's 62 degrees in here?

So I, very sweetly, say "NOOOOOOO. GO AWAY. I AM COMFORTABLE."

And he says, "Erin. (Sigh) Come on."

"NO." Roarrrr.

"Erin."

"OK FINE." It's really, really romantic. I promise.

So tonight, when he got home at 8 p.m., it was like ... Well, I don't know. Like I am having a friend over for a slumber party. I feel like we should get out the sleeping bags with Rainbow Brite on them and talk about boys and eat marshmallows RIGHT OUTTA THE BAG.

So, if you'll excuse me, we're going to play a rousing game of Scrabble. Or Trivial Pursuit. Who knows. We are living like rock stars.

No comments: