Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Kind of reminds you of Flipper, doesn't it

Around the holidays, I admit. I was getting a bit depressed. Sorry if I was bringing you down, man. I didn't want to go to three different places in as many days, states away. I didn't want to be poor again. I didn't want to work much. I didn't this, I didn't that. Etc. Wah, I'm the only one who's ever felt this way ... Man, that got annoying. I apologize.

I'd like to report I'm feeling better now. I've stopped cleaning compulsively. The decorations have been safely stored in the basement since Dec. 26, when they were taken down in a fit of tidiness.

Moving on.

Tomorrow night, Dave and I get to play host to our first non-parental guests -- my best friend Becky and her fiance. Becky and I go back to sixth grade, when I hated her for grading my papers too harshly when we did peer grading. If we can overcome that ... Boy, there is hope for world peace.

Their visit is the opposite of my demeanor before parental visits in college; instead of walking around my apartment taking down pictures and mementos from the walls that would make my mother blush (not that I had any of those kinds of things, mind you), I instead feel I should be walking around the house looking for items that would make my friend cringe with embarassment.

"YOU have a crystal serving tray? What are you, married?" and then I'll blush and stammer and say "Oh, wow, look at the time. You know we're on central time, right? Aren't you tired? No?"

But at the moment I have no energy to lug my crystal dolphin-on-mirrors collection down to the basement,* so I'll just sit here and blog about it instead.


*No offense to the many crystal animal figurine collectors out there, but I don't have a collection of them. I don't even have one. I'd like to keep it that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the way you write. I can hear you talking as I read it. Sounds like your holidays went well. Miss you guys.