Monday, January 22, 2007

Let's not do that again.

One of my favorite words is "let's."

It's the nice way of saying "do it" to someone; "let's make sure we pay that bill on time." "Let's set up that photo assignment today." It can make most situations sound like less of a command and more of a nice suggestion. "Let's all wipe our chins" sounds a lot better than announcing to a table of 35 "OHMYGOD Rita, wipe that huge glob of pudding off your chin."

Let's not wait to fold that laundry. Let's not wait to make that dentist appointment, Dave. Let's not watch Leno, honey. Let's get those movies back on time, Dave.

Of course, when I say "let's," I usually mean "you." Or, more specifically, Dave.

So when I said "let's take the cupboards down and sand them and paint them white," I meant "take the cupboards down and sand them and paint them white, Dave." Duh.

No comments: