Sunday, January 28, 2007

eBay, you sweet little thing, you!

I've been gone a while.

I apologize. But you see, I've been gone with good reasons. Two of them, to be exact.

One, being my stomach, and its inability to cope with itself and some chicken at the same time. Hm.

Second, being this: I spent three hours setting up an eBay account, taking photos of items I was going to give to my mom to put on a garage sale anyhow, and remembering my PayPal account info from six years ago (and then giving up and creating a new one altogether). EBay, when I last knew it, was free. OK, so it's not so much free anymore.

But still. Folks, I just made $74.28 (after eBay and PayPal's fees) on five items that were just in a box in my upstairs closet. And of course, what does a woman do with $74.28, but buy a pair of shoes. Which is exactly what I did.

But the shoes ... they didn't fit. I tried on two pairs, and put the wrong one back on the shelf in a moment of "OH MY GOD LOOK DAVE THEY HAVE THEM IN DARK BROWN." Dave was really, really excited, as you may have guessed.

Today, when I went to slide on these fabulously dark brown shoes, I noticed how my toes did the "oh, heck no, this isn't working, no way," move, curling themselves up from the pain. Wusses, I told my toes, jamming them in the shoes relentlessly.

I walked around the house for a minute, but then decided, I couldn't. Go. On.

And Dave? He's the hero of this painful tale. I took off the shoes with a dramatic sigh, went outside to where he was and said "want to go to take these back?", meaning "want to ride along?" He said "Sure, I will." No "yeah, right." No "Uh ... I think I have to, uh, floss." Nothing. He said "Sure, I will." As in "I want to do it, all by myself." So I handed over the shoes, and he just went. Just like that.

So I made about $74 AND got new shoes, AND found out that Dave is even nicer (more of a sucker?) than I knew. Whoa. Or, so I thought.

Turns out, Starbucks just happens to be in the same parking lot -- Wow, who knew? So there went the rest of the $74. Ah, well. There's more junk to sell where that came from.

No comments: