Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hellllloooo, Mortgage.


Erin Niese. Erin Niese. Erin Niese. E.N. Erin Niese. Erin Niese. E.N. E.N. Erin Niese, also known as Erin F. Niese. E.N. Erin Niese. Erin Niese. Times 857.

OK.

I just wanted you to know what it was like to be me this morning when we CLOSED ON THE HOUSE. Nothing went wrong, thus proving my gut has no brains. I didn't even get a hand cramp from signing so many papers -- I've been training for that moment since before kindergarten.

So yes. I'm a homeowner. Going through the house again today, owning it, holding the keys in my hand, seeing my name as "buyer," was the best feeling -- it was like winning the lottery ... Only I have to pay instead of receiving lump sums of cash.
Yeah, thinking about paying the mortgage ... Not so great of a feeling. But we have a house. And it's beautiful. Woodwork. Red dining room. A yellow ceiling, which I love, love, love. I love that house -- cobwebs, imperfections and all.

And until we get married, it's MINE. MY name's on the mortgage. MY name's on the title. MY MY MY. A single woman, owning a home. Bras were burnt (before I was born) so I could blog about this moment.

I'm happy -- I'm stressed, too, but I can sleep well tonight. Well. Maybe not. Now I have to worry about the utilities getting switched and turned on and, hello, where will everything go?

(Details. Details.)

Oh, and I'm blogging now (at the old apartment) because I found the old residents' industrial-strength mouse killer under a built-in drawer I was wiping out. I didn't want to hang out in the house alone while Dave worked second shift for fear some rodent would come and demand me to recognize that the house is indeed big enough for him and 40 of his friends and family while I scream for my life.

So, yes. I have a house, and I'm afraid to be in it right now (until Dave goes over there and checks it out and assures me there won't be mice until at least November, when it's cold outside). Someone out there is regretting burning that bra after reading this sentence.

Though if I'm asked, I'm here because there's no running water there until tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to tell you this but...November (when it's cold OUTSIDE) is when all the mice head indoors for warmth.