Thursday, December 27, 2007

Hallelujah -- We've been saved

Here's how the money works in our house.

I make some, he makes some, I collect bills in a slot for our envelopes, he pays bills at the very last second, every time, like he's surprised that -- oh my God? Erin? This one's due on the 1st too! Again! Every time. Dang.

Admittedly, I have little idea how much those bills are unless I open them; he has little knowledge what day of the month it is, so we often pay bills RIGHT on time. Exactly on time.

Saving? Well, yeah, we have one of those accounts. I don't recall ever putting money in it since we opened it. But see? I'm SAVING it. And checking account? Yup. Retirement fund? Uh, I have ... something set up through work. I couldn't tell you what it is, or what it means. Or what those student loans have left on them. Or what Dave's do, though I know he has more than me, and even though we're married, that's all the same headache.

My credit card's paid off. His isn't. I have a car payment. He doesn't. But we will soon. No, it won't be a minivan.

That about covers it. Oh. The mortgage. I've got one of those.

So. We've got some money stuff.

And now? We've been SAVED.

Remember that pre-Cana thing I just mentioned the other day? (Here's my original blog about the marriage class ...)

Well, one of the presenters/ counselors/ speakers from that whole thing just called. Apparently, the free financial counseling session we all were entitled to for going to the pre-Cana class is still good. And, what's that? Our number just came up? YESSS.

He told us in June 2006 he'd call in like six weeks, so after we didn't hear from him after that, I kind of thought he hated us, or maybe noticed we were unmarried and shared an address? That's OK. He's over it now, and thank God.

We need some help. I picture myself dumping my money stuff from a shoebox onto his desk, and him saying "No, no, don't do that!" and "Yes! That's what I call saving!" And there will be singing! And rejoicing! And counting of coins in tall stacks with green visors.

I don't know if you knew, but babies cost money, and we have 23 weeks and five days (according to my online pregnancy calendar) to find some money. I'm so ready for this money thing. Help me, man.

1 comment:

MWGirl said...

It's weird you posted this today. Maybe you caught some sort of wave length of my thoughts.

I just spent the entire morning CRYING about every single thing you mentioned in this post. And, I don't have a baby on the way. I think you have more grounds to stress than I do. Hang in there.