Thursday, December 13, 2007

The 30th anniversary isn't for pearls anymore

My dad celebrated his 30th anniversary at his work Thursday, and for his years of dedication and traveling and hard work, he got something he wasn't convinced would ever leave the box.

He got a freakin' 80 GB iPod. An ay-tee gig iPOD. I'm pretty sure that's ridiculous. What happened to a cake? A watch? He gets an iPod? Really?

"Maybe when you come home you can show me how to use it," he said.

Or I'll show him how I'll steal it, is what I'll do.

Imagine how it must've been for him in 1977, walking in that flooring company.

"Hi Randy. Here's your desk. Your coffee mug. The restroom. Now, just think ... sure you'll install floors for a few years, then you'll sell some stuff, you'll travel so much your kids'll hate it, you'll work at home cuz you're on salary ... huh (pat on the shoulder)! But seriously, Randy, you just wait! It'll all be worth it! In 2007, we'll give you something that can fit 20,000 songs on it! And it'll fit in your pocket. Yep. That's right. We're getting you an iPod ... Just keep your eyes on the prize, Randy. All right. Get to work."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say, the first thing I would do would be download "Take this job and shove it" and then leave it with a note on my bosses desk.