Sunday, February 11, 2007

Home improvement update 54

The "here, throw up in this" blue color is banished from my life forever.

Dave called me while I was away this weekend to tell me he'd finally gotten around to painting the kitchen. It's what I call a hip, cool, calming green. But it took Dave some time to warm up to it.

Because the green was supposed to be a bit darker than it turned out. Now, it looks, well, just like the bathrooms. Both of them.

Though one of them is soon going to be pale lavender/blue (thanks to the paint in the basement the former owners used to paint our bedroom -- Oh, hi, Dave, I kind of forgot to mention that to you), and the other can be painted red for all I care. But it's really bothering Dave that three rooms (though I'd argue it's more like two-and-a-half) rooms in our house are the same color, on accident.

And it's green.

He's not a green person. Look in his closet. What do you notice, other than that I take up the majority of the space? That everything is blue, black or white. You will find one green thing, if I remember correctly, and that's just because he couldn't find a blue army shirt at the thrift store when he was there that day.

Green makes Dave nervous. It's so ... not blue.

"You don't like it, do you?" he asked, staring at a half-painted kitchen.

"Yes I do. I thought it'd be darker, but this is cool."

"Like you want me to go get darker paint?"

"No, cool. Like I like it," I said. "You don't like it, do you?"

"No ... I ... do. I just thought it was going to be darker. And it bugs me that the bathrooms are the same color as the kitchen."

"Because everyone's going to laugh at us. Oh, god, I never thought of it like that."

"Shut up," he smirked. Then he put on a second coat of paint and later admitted he liked it.

Funny how attachments develop for a color when it comes down to "live with green or repaint."

Up next: Sanding and painting the cabinets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Painting the cabinets? Do you mean staining or are you actually going to paint them??

Erin said...

Oh, no, my friend. We are painting them cream.

We are insane.