Thursday, February 1, 2007

Everyone's going to see I have a John Deere bowl. How am I going to explain that to ... actually, no one is here to see it but paranoid me.

Our dishes, cups and mugs are an eclectic mix of $1 bin plates, the nice set from our wedding, and items I see in antique stores or in Target. Very cool individually, but not very eclectic looking when they're stark, exposed sitting on Contact-papered particle board shelves in my kitchen. They're dishes for the newlyweds who work opposite shifts, who sit on the couch when they're eating most times, or eat standing up in the kitchen, alone.

Not the kind you show off on purpose.

Dave took the doors off our cabinets to sand them and prep them for priming and painting in our effort to redo our kitchen, cheaper than actually redoing our kitchen.

I try not to make eye-to-dish contact during this process. That Apollo 11 mug was really cool when I found it for $1 at some antique store in Michigan (one of the few good things to happen in Michigan while I was living there ...), not so cool when it's sitting next to the NBC bowl from Mom and the yellow, heart-shaped Cheerios bowl from Christmas three years ago.

My boss said it took him months to do his cabinets. I'm hoping my obsession over hiding the ugly and mismatched will motivate Dave to finish a bit sooner. Please. Please, Dave.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a red heart-shaped Cheerios bowl! I also have a "I'm a Half Price Book Worm" tumbler. I stole a Green Bay Packers glass from my parents' house. Not because I'm a Packers fan, but because it's the only glass I like ice cream floats in. I have two purple plastic divided trays that look just like school lunch trays. I have two plastic Halloween plates that are orange with cute spiders on them.
I saved the best for last. It is perhaps my most prized possession. My Kraft Macaroni & Cheese Dr. Seuss' The Cat in the Hat Bowl! I had to eat a lot of boxes of mac & cheese in order to send for it, but it was worth every noodle :o)