Saturday, February 24, 2007

Caution: Might cause you to lose faith in my music tastes

When I was dating this other guy in Toledo during college, I lent him some CDs, and he promptly moved into what he loving called the ghetto and had his car broken into.

They stole his console change and his CDs -- including mine -- and I haven't gotten over the anger-slash-annoyance toward these strangers over losing the CDs, no matter how craptastic they were.

I've been looking for these awful CDs ever since -- at the library. I put a hold on a few of them, and when they came in from libraries in cities I've never heard of, I snuck them off the holds shelf and hid them behind movies I'd check out (but sometimes never watch). You can't just walk out of the library holding a Blink-182 CD and keep your dignity, too.

It's like I'll stand there, staring at the CD cover and be physically sweating, going "What if I get in a car accident on the way home, and everyone laughs at my poor choice in music?!"

Yet I check them out and sneak them home. But the real problem starts here. When I get some of these CDs back, the dang things won't let me import them into my iTunes library.

The green check mark appears next to songs ... But not all of them. When it gets to any random track, usually the only one on the whole CD I like, the program just quits. It only happens on library CDs. It's not scratched. It's not dirty. It had no problem with the first nine tracks on the CD. Seriously.

I think it's my iTunes. It's like "No, Erin. No. I will not let you do that to yourself. 1997 was 10 years ago. Let it go."

3 comments:

Anthony said...

When you borrow CDs from the library, do you also borrow "classy" music because you fear the disapproving eyes of a matronly librarian, or worse, the un-librarian-looking younger female with the pierced eyebrow and blue highlights? If you have a Blink-182 CD, do you hide it in a pile of classic rock, or do you slip in a few classical music recordings, as if to say, "I like high-brow and low-brow music."

I almost never get comments from librarians on the material I check out. The last time was when someone complemented my choice of Nickel Creek at the same time that I was checking out a bunch of Now That's What I Call Music compilations.

Anthony said...

When you borrow CDs from the library, do you also borrow "classy" music because you fear the disapproving eyes of a matronly librarian, or worse, the un-librarian-looking younger female with the pierced eyebrow and blue highlights? If you have a Blink-182 CD, do you hide it in a pile of classic rock, or do you slip in a few classical music recordings, as if to say, "I like high-brow and low-brow music."

I almost never get comments from librarians on the material I check out. The last time was when someone complemented my choice of Nickel Creek at the same time that I was checking out a bunch of Now That's What I Call Music compilations.

Mark said...

If the CD has library stickers on it, that might be throwing off your CD drive and thus iTunes.

Of course that is one of many potential problems that might be going on. Perhaps iTunes instinctively knows you're trying to copy CDs you don't own and crashing is its way of going "Nuh unh uh..."