Thursday, January 3, 2008

In the end, they just changed it in the system and I went on my way

Dave's not dying. Whew. Or, if he IS dying, he's doing it at a rate that didn't scare the doctor he went to see today. I'm glad it's just another infection because I'm kind of attached to Dave. I mean, who's going to get me water at midnight when the floor's so cold and the bed's so warm? That doesn't read well in a personals ad. "Widow seeks mate who likes to do minor, annoying things like get me things I can get for myself but am too comfortable to get."

Amen.

So because he gets me water at midnight, I went to pick up his prescription at Wal-Greens tonight. "All you need is my birthday and my address." I'm his WIFE. I know those things! So I confidently waited 20 minutes in line to get it for him. Ah, marriage.

But as I stepped up to the counter and stated his name, I faltered a bit when she found a prescription in the "W" bin and put it back.

"What's his address, again?"

I told her the street name and number once more. It happens to be mine. I'm familiar with it.

"Hmm ... Not on Brookview?" she asked.

I was getting some static from a past life, but ... no. I'm fairly sure the man who gets me water at midnight also LIVES in my house, and I don't live on a Brookview.

"It says 136 Brookview Drive, Apt. 88; Toledo."

OH. THAT.

No, ma'am. I'm pretty sure it's not the same Dave. Because I never would've married someone who had a shower curtain so dirty that if you took it off the rod, it'd stand on its own. I'd never marry someone who had a pile of dirty? -- maybe dirty? let's smell and see -- clothes in his living room, while all the drawers of his dresser stood open, empty, a few feet away. Nope. I never would've married someone whose apartment I was in for exactly seven minutes before my warming feelings toward Dave started to cool. Or gag me.

So, no, ma'am. I'm pretty sure that's the wrong Dave Wasinger. Brookview Drive Dave is dead. I killed him with my sweet looks and my "no, you'll have to clean up or move out, because I'll never come hang out there. It's SCARY."

No comments: