Wednesday, November 8, 2006

A sure sign I'm getting old

When I was 16, back in the day, I was living in Holland, going out and dancing to one of Europe's favorite music genres, Bad Electronic Music. At the time, it was "awesome, man" because my mom hated it and, being 16, what more did you really need to know?

And when I came to my senses a little later, I realized that it takes a special person, i.e., Radiohead or Postal Service, to make electronic music good. And that's when I lost my Chemical Brothers' CD.

Anyhow. After all of these embarrassing revelations I'm spewing here, there is a point. Last night, post-election hoopla made me go out after work. Out to a bar that had a band that was playing OK music. Then came the DJ for a while. Those times, the songs made me feel old. Maybe I was just tired, but the "dancing" I was doing was in one-and-a-half second spurts, and it was mainly to mock my 16-year-old self.

Inside, I was my mom, saying "WHAT IS THIS CRAP AND WHY IS IT IN MY CD PLAYER." It was electronic music. Circa the 1990s. In my ears. No. Make that "offending" my ears.

I think I handled it well enough. I don't believe I made the Annoyed Mom Face or anything.

No comments: