Monday, November 6, 2006

If I hear "I approve this message" one more time, I'll scream.

I will be so glad when the elections are over.

Besides the annoying TV commercials and the yards with 75 signs in them (all the same, of course, just in case you missed it the first 74 times), I am just exhausted of the wait. Working at a newspaper, I read about the issues every day. I'm reading the stories on the wire. I'm reading letters to the editor. I'm up to my ears in elections.

And I just want it to stop.

I want to watch "Law & Order" and only think about how cute Chris Noth is. Not how annoying it is to watch the commercials.

I'm also excited to be voting this year in particular. My first "real" election was when I was almost 19. I voted in a mid-term election for the county dog warden and the sheriff or something like that. I remember walking in to the Putnam County, Ohio, courthouse, taking the pin and voting with an envelope, all low-tech. Probably the same way the Pilgrims did it. Should they have had to vote for dog warden.

And tomorrow I'll vote for the first time in Wisconsin, where you're allowed to register at the polls, oddly enough. None of this 30-day waiting period stuff. Different.

But what I'm expecting will be most different is the peace and harmony I'll feel when I turn on the TV and don't see "I'm (So and So) and I approve this message." Seriously. I expect Hell would be a hot, sticky, windowless room with a fuzzy TV that just kept replaying political ads over and over again. With no remote control. No "off" button. No cord to pull out of the socket. Yes. That'd be my hell.

No comments: